This project is part of a sustainable development approach that respects the preservation of biodiversity and the promotion of the cultivation of organic products. By setting up this project, the objective of the NGO-ASTOVOT is to promote the cultivation of organic products and make them accessible for local consumption. The activities carried out in the garden offer a space for exchange of experiences on the values of organic production and the consumption of local products.
GOALS OF THE PROJECT
– Preserve biodiversity and environmental improvement of the garden;
– Promote the cultivation of various organic products (vegetables and fruits);
– Encourage the consumption of organic products by the local population;
MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THE PROJECT
– Preparation of plates: weeding, nursery, harrowing;
– Manufacture of compost;
– Maintenance of the water distribution pipe system in the garden
– Protection of seedlings (shading), transplanting seedlings, watering seeds;
– Reinforce the fence of the garden.
– Organization of educational activities in the garden with children
– Construction of straw hut and bamboo for relaxation and preservation of tools and products;
Housing conditions are generally primitive.
The volunteers will be housed together in the same house with several rooms (usually 2 to 4 rooms) and will live near the project site. Housing will be provided with plastic mats or straws but volunteers can however provide small inflatable mattresses or small floor mats (no bed), sleeping bag, mosquito nets etc. The kitchen will be organized by the volunteers themselves. Drinking water available.
Volunteers will cook and eat together their meals. In the kitchen, they will use the local products. There are many various vegetables and fruits in location, so vegetarian and vegan diets can be continued. NB: Clean drinking water available.
Internet access and electricity are limited according to the areas of intervention of the projects.
Apart from the activities to be carried out on the building site, you can enjoy walks, meetings with the particularly welcoming population, organize parties and excursions to visit the surrounding villages.
Created in 1957, the NGO Togolese Association of Volunteers at Work (ASTOVOT) is one of the first Togolese associations. As a non-profit layman, ASTOVOT has been supporting international solidarity initiatives for a number of decades, as well as the self-promotion of grassroots communities through local development projects. Today, it remains a great reference in terms of international volunteering and civic service in Togo. Each year, the NGO ASTOVOT receives dozens of volunteers from European countries (Germany, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Spain, Luxembourg…) and also from Asia (Japan) thanks to its partnership with several organizations working in the field of international volunteering and civil service. With a staff of six (6) people within the Coordination, the Togolese Association of Volunteers at Work (ASTOVOT) is an association of International Volunteering and Local Development with the objective of:
– Contribute to the animation of the life by the participation of the Togolese and foreign volunteers to the realization of the works of general interest;
– Contribute to improving the living conditions of local populations by promoting their development and well-being by safeguarding the ecological, socio-cultural, educational and health environment;
– Promote the movement of people and goods through international and intercultural exchanges;
The languages of the workcamp are English and French. But it’s important to note that the exchanges in English are very basic.