● Brick laying
● Mixing sand
. Digging up foundations for the new structures
● Fetching water
● Preparing and participating in a local football match for leisure and entertainment
● Conducting community outreaches on health and hygiene awareness
● Visiting youth and vulnerable women groups
● Accommodation will be in simple rooms.
● Participants will be required to carry own mats and sleeping bags.
● The camp site has simple bathrooms and pit latrines no showers
● A simple cooking shelter (Kitchen)
● Participants are requested to bring with them mosquito nets.
● The food is basic and simple. Be ready to take the same dish for some days in a row.
● Fruits can at times be availed for the campers from local markets.
● Participants will chose food to prepare depending on the availability.
● Work campers will use charcoal or firewood to prepare the meals.
● If you need more fruits/extra meals/special diet you can get it on your own cost.
The project will take place at UPA Arua Branch, Ezoova Village, Driwala Parish Pajulu Sub county 3 km from Arua Town. The administrative and commercial headquarter of the district is 520 km away from Kampala, Ugandan Capital City.
● Visit historical sites, i.e. Wanglei Puvungu and Emin pasha’ s Tomb solar eclipse monument in WADELAI,
● There could also be a possibility to visit the nearby South Sudanese Refugee camps in Siripi, Rhino camp etc
● There opportunities to visit tourist places like Murchison falls, hot and cool Amor pii ( Panyimur) Lendu forest, Aguu hill at own cost
● Mountain Wati Footsteps marks of first humans on the stone
● Cultural Nights will be organized on different days for the different countries represented at the workcamp. Please carry along anything that can introduce your culture.
Uganda Pioneers Association-Arua Branch wishes to put up structures for skills training center for vulnerable women and youth and office space for branch. At the moment single mother’s women group named Tiecima uses temporary Noah’s Ark Education Centers classrooms, offered by the proprietor of the school, but during school time, woman group sits under the trees. There is no permanent office space for the meetings and other branch activities. The branch hopes to also set up structures for vocational training through tailoring for women and girls especially those that dropped out of school .
The participants are expected to atleast have some of the following qualities:
● Open minded, ready to interact with other people of different cultural background
● Willing to share his/her experiences
● Flexible to live/stay in simple life conditions
● Flexible to the taste of local and basic foods
● Ready to work on the projects
● No experience needed.
The volunteers must apply for a tourist visa online with this link. https://www.visas.immigration.go.ug/ . This should be done a couple of weeks or months before the departure date. The form requires you to fill in the address of the contact person in Uganda and you should use: ZZIWA SAMUEL MUSANYUSA, NANSANA WEST I ZONE, +256785601220. The immigration department sends you an approval document which you must print and present on arrival at the airport. The tourist visa costs 50 US $ and it is better to carry it in cash.