The volunteers shall be engaged in the following activities :
• Brick laying
• Digging the foundation.
• Mixing sand and cement
• Collecting bricks and water
• Cleaning the compound
• Playing with children
• Organizing sports and games
• Conducting lessons
• Art and painting
• Accommodation will be in simple rooms.
• Participants will be required to carry own mat and sleeping bag.
• The camp site has simple bathrooms and pit latrines no showers
• A simple cooking shelter (Kitchen)
• Participants are requested to bring with them mosquito nets.
• The food is basic and simple. Be ready to take the same dish for some days in a row.
• Fruits can at times be availed for the campers from local markets.
• Participants will chose food to prepare depending on the availability.
• Workcampers will use charcoal or firewood to prepare the meals.
• If you need more fruits/extra meals/special diet you can get it on your own cost.
The project is situated at Kikooba village, 2km from at 74 km on Kampala – Hoima road North west of Kampala City.
The project is located in Kiboga District boarded by Nakaseke District in the northeast, Masindi in the northwest, Hoima in the west, Mubende district in the south and Kibale district in the south west.
Climbing Kikooba hill will also be an interesting activity. A local market is also on Tuesday at Bukomero every two weeks.
A cultural night will be organized and participants will display items, songs and dances from their home countries and traditions.
Kikooba is one of the oldest branches of Uganda Pioneers Association started in 1990 with majority members being old women and men. This is one of the interesting UPA projects that has highly motivated old members joining a workcamp project. The workcampers and members shall engage in construction of classrooms for the community children that attend to this school.The workcampers shall also engage with the children of the community school (Kikooba Infant and primary School) that has about 280 pupils with games, art and class lessons.
Participants are expected to have some of the following:
• Open minded, ready to interact with other people of different cultural background
• Willing to share his/her experiences
• Flexible to live/stay in simple life conditions
• Flexible to the taste of local and basic foods
• Ready to work on the projects
• No experience needed
The volunteers must apply for a tourist visa online with this link. https://www.visas.immigration.go.ug/ . This should be done a couple of weeks or months before the departure date. The form requires you to fill in the address of the contact person in Uganda and you should use: ZZIWA SAMUEL MUSANYUSA, NANSANA WEST I ZONE, +256785601220. The immigration department sends you an approval document which you must print and present on arrival at the airport. The tourist visa costs 50 US $ and it is better to carry it in cash.