Renovation works of painting the classrooms
● Cleaning the classrooms walls, windows and doors
● Mixing paints with water/paraffin or kerosene
● Painting the walls, windows and doors
● Communities visitations, counselling of orphans and vulnerable children especially child headed families, child mothers, bed ridden persons and a placement of referrals patients to Pokwero Health Center III (Government medical Facility) and prisoners at Ujigo Government Prison at Rasem in Wadelai
● Taking records on special forms and photographs of orphans and vulnerable children and parents/guardians for COWA data activities for advocacies, lobbying and foster parenthood programmes.
● Making/giving out playing materials to the children and arranging one day competitive singing, dancing, sports and games gala etc, giving small gifts to the winners by COWA organization.
● The accommodation will be in the school classrooms
● The participants will be required to carry own sleeping bags and mats
● The camp site has simple bathrooms with no showers
● The camp site has latrines no toilets
● A simple cooking shelter (Kitchen)
● The participants are expected to bring with them mosquito nets working clothes, gloves, shoes and children playing materials if possible
● If any games, information/pictures from host country, you can bring them.
● There are several local foods to choose from e.g, matoke, cassava, sweet potatoes, yams, pumpkin and also rice, spaghetti, ground nuts, beans, peas and different types green vegetables
● Fruits can also be easily bought from local markets: mangoes, bananas, waterlemon, pineapples, passion fruits, lemons
● Participants will choose which food to prepare depending on the availability.
If you need more fruits/extra meals/special diet you can get it at your own cost.
The workcamp shall take place at Otwikende Village, Local Council I, Panyango Sub county in Pakwach District. The project site is in Owiny Primary School, which was the Epicenter for the famous World Total Eclipse of the Year 3rd November 2013.
Owiny Primary School is located 10 km from Pakwach Town at Pokuero Trading Center on Wadelai-Arua Road. The School is 240 km North of Kampala City on Kampala-Arua road in the northern (West Nile region) of Uganda, bordered by River Nile and Lake Albert in the East and South Zombo and Arua District in the West and North respectively.
● Visits to Fish Landing Sites along River Nile and Pacer Blacksmithing Wood Art and Crafts
● COWA tailoring and dressmaking workshop in Pakwach town main Marketline
There are many opportunities for visitors especially for tourism purposes but at the cost of the interested person(s) the sites are:
● The World Total Solar Eclipse (50 m from the work camp site), Hot and Cool Amur Pii Springs in Panymur (34 km away) Murchison Falls National Park (22 km away), Emin Pasha Tomb (the famous German explorer) etc
● A Cultural Night shall be organized for different nationalities at the work camp
● Birds and butterfly sanctuaries on river Nile at Pakwero and Panyango respectively
The participants are expected to have some of the following:
● Open minded, ready to interact with other peoples of different cultural background
● Willing to share his/her experiences
● Flexible to live/stay in simple life conditions
● Flexible to the taste of other foods (local African foods)
● Ready to do simple manual work on the project
● Positive attitude, willing to interact easily
● Ambitions to help the orphans and vulnerable children and their families
● Willing to play with the orphans and vulnerable children
● Willing to eat varieties of local foods and accomodation in school classrooms
● No expertise required
No special/particular expertise/skills required, however participants with skills in psychosocial support, career guidance interactive games/sports, handling children issues, foster parenthood and pen friendship and counselling will be added advantage.
The volunteers must apply for a tourist visa online with this link. https://www.visas.immigration.go.ug/ . This should be done a couple of weeks or months before the departure date. The form requires you to fill in the address of the contact person in Uganda and you should use: ZZIWA SAMUEL MUSANYUSA, NANSANA WEST I ZONE, +256785601220. The immigration department sends you an approval document which you must print and present on arrival at the airport. The tourist visa costs 50 US $ and it is better to carry it in cash.