Every summer, the NGO ASTOVOT organizes a project of socio-educational activities and tutoring for students in the village of Yéviépé. Activities will take place in the new library built by Astovot and in the primary school in the village of Yéviépé. This project makes it possible to offer the children of the village several recreational activities and to improve the level of children in several subjects (Mathematics, English and French) before the start of the school year. The volunteers will work in collaboration with the members of the Village Development Committee (VDC).
Aims of project
- Organize lucrative and educational activities (games, dances, songs, sports, readings) in the library for the benefit of the village children;
- Organize support lessons (French, English, Mathematics) to improve the level of children before the start of the school year;
- Show documentary films to the children of the village ;
The activities to be carried out will be:
- Support courses for primary and secondary school students in subjects where they have more difficulty. Volunteers will be involved in learning the French language (reading, writing, conjugation, written and oral expression, etc.) and in calculation (Mathematics), English, etc.
- The second part will focus on games and various activities in the village library (reading, drawing, singing and dancing competitions, etc.), writing a collection of stories, and screening films and documentaries for children.
NB : School supplies and gifts will be distributed to students and the school at the end of the activities.
It is advisable for volunteers to bring A4 sheets, coloured pencils, notebooks, pens, markers, children's games, educational materials and any other items deemed necessary for the project and for children (4 to 15 years old).
Accommodatie en maaltijden
Housing conditions are generally basic (especially in rural areas). The group is housed together in a house in which the volunteers have to share the rooms (usually 2 to 4 rooms). We have small mattresses and plastic mats that will be used as bedding for the volunteers. Because housing is often not equipped with beds. However, volunteers can provide small air mattresses or small floor mats, sleeping bags, mosquito nets ...etc.
Volunteers prepare their own meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) on site. The dishes are varied and diverse with local and imported ingredients provided. However, the diet of each volunteer is respected and taken into account in the preparation of the meals. During the international days decreed on the workcamp, each group of volunteers (Europeans or Togolese) can present a typical dish from their country or continent.
Locatie en vrije tijd
As part of the international workcamp, several activities are organized: discovery walks, hikes, festive outings, cultural meetings. These activities allow volunteers to get in touch with local populations but also to discover Togolese culture.
During the weekends, group excursions are organized to discover the tourist sites of the region where the construction site is located. It should be noted that the participation (transport, visiting fees and other costs) of these activities are covered by the volunteers themselves.
NB : Internet access and electricity are limited depending on the project areas.
French and English are the two languages of the project. However, French is the official language spoken in Togo. It is advisable for English-speaking volunteers wishing to participate in this project to have a minimum level in French, because a large majority of local volunteers and communities have a low level in English.