• Brick making and construction work at the School
• Teaching pupils at the School
• Sporting together with the pupils
• Exposure to the challenges of Female Genital mutilation (FGM)
• Inter-cultural learning coupled with home visits for exposure to development challenges.
• Possibility to visit the historic sites like Hippo point on Lake Victoria in Kisumu City, renowned Kakamega Rain Forest and the Equator point at Maseno University; among other spectacular sites of interest in the region. However, this will be done most probably during the weekends.
Accommodatie en maaltijden
• The host community will provide a house to accommodate the volunteers with very basic living conditions.
• Volunteers have an obligation to climb down the level of the people with the aim of exposure to development challenges.
• KVDA will provide foodstuffs and volunteers will cook their own meals in turns.
• Water is available from springs and it is recommended that drinking water should be boiled or medicated.
• Mineral water available at supermarkets is also recommended.
• There is electricity connection within the community where you can charge your electrical appliances
Locatie en vrije tijd
The project is located among the Kuria people (also known as the AbaKurya, are a Bantu community in Tanzania and Kenya. Their homeland is bounded on the east by the Migori River and on the west by the Mara River estuary. Traditionally a farming community, the Kuria grow maize, beans and cassava as food crops and coffee and maize as cash crops.
This project offers a unique opportunity for the volunteer to understand the essence of international solidarity in complex situations.
KVDA offers educational tours to spectacular sites including the renowned Maasai Mara Game Reserve at separate fees. Please contact us for specific tour information.
Below please find the outline of the tours offered:
-3-Day tour to Maasai Mara Game Reserve
-4-Day tour to Maasai Mara Game Reserve and Lake Nakuru National Park
-4-Day tour to Amboseli National Park, Lake Naivasha and Maasai Mara Game Reserve
-4 day tour to Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Conservation in Tanzania
These tours can be conducted either before the project or at the end of the project and for volunteers with limited time over the weekends within the project.
In case you are interested in any of the above tours and other tailor made tours, please feel free to contact us for more information
PROJECT PARTICIPANTS: Maximum 20 volunteers from Kenya and the international community
What to carry?
This is outlined in the detailed info sheet and includes, sleeping bag and mat, toiletries, torch/flashlight, sandals, mosquito net, national flag from your country, among others
DONATION AND GIFTS:
These are usually symbolic gestures to enhance the solidarity of volunteers and the hosting community. Kindly contact KVDA for details in case you are willing to support a worthy cause in the community either by offering a donation or long-term intervention on the project.
THEME: Advocacy against female genital mutilation
• Female genital mutilation (FGM) is a strong tradition in this community. It is illegal. But still the majority of the women are circumcised and each and every young woman is subjected to the cut.
• The church has preached against FGM for decades but in spite of the deep devoutness the priests do not have enough power over the souls.
• FGM has nothing to do with religion; it is a so-called culture and tradition in certain groups. The practice is deeply rooted in views on chastity, transition to womanhood, “purity” for marriage and basically a wish to control women sexually.
• In certain areas, the survival and fertility of the local community is assumed to be threatened if the girls are not circumcised. Many brave young girls who refuse FGM are regarded as “unmarriageable” and become outcasts.
• It is a brutal act, painful and has led to the spread of HIV/AIDS. Volunteers will work closely with community based organizations in the area that are actively involved on the thematic focus of this project.