– Production and maintenance of artwork
– Reception at artworks
– Attending visitors to guide in the festival
Volunteers stay at a temple in Takamatsu city and share the rooms (male/female separated) as accommodation. Bedding is provided. Facilities: kitchen, toilet, laundry machine, wi-fi.
For taking a bath, volunteers go to a spa house.
Volunteers manage the provided money for food and buy or prepare meals by themselves.
Setouchi is an area in the west part of Japan, located between Shikoku Island and the mainland of Japan including the island sea. Setouchi Islands is ranked 7th of 52 places to go in 2019 by The New York Times.
“Japan’s ancient Setouchi region, which includes the Seto Inland Sea’s islands and coastal areas, will host the Setouchi Trienniale 2019, a major art fair held in three seasonal installments; sites in 2019 include the less-frequented islands of Teshima and Honjima, where you can better experience the balance of nature and art. One hour south of the “art islands” via ferry or the Shinkansen bullet train, the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, one of Japan’s most visited sites, reopens in spring 2019 after an eight-year, $51 million refurbishment. Setouchi is also looking to draw a fresh crop of cyclists, with new trails winding through local citrus and olive groves and a dedicated Shimanami bike ferry that opened in October 2018 connecting Japan’s main island of Honshu to the region’s lesser-visited island of Shikoku”
Setouchi Triennale is one of the largest international art festivals in the world that is held every 3 years. Koebi Tai is a volunteer group that provides support to Setouchi Triennale. Volunteers from Japan and all around the world come to the Seto Inland Sea and participate in various activities on different islands (‘Koebi’ means shrimp and ‘Tai’ means troops in Japanese).
English website of Setouchi Triennale 2019: https://setouchi-artfest.jp/en/
– Interests on art and Japanese culture and understanding of Japanese social manner.
– Must submit a motivation letter or description of motivation in the application form. Please include your self-introduction, interests on the project, experience, motivation in English or Japanese (if possible).
– Submit a confirmation slip (Travel information) online after your application is accepted by CIEE Japan.