WEEK 1 (21 July-27 July):
Attend Cultural exchange classes at Jr high school students and join summer English workshop for elementary school children.
-Present your home country for students
-Introduce children songs, crafts and games from your home country
-Play sports sing and dance with Japanese children
-Cook home country cuisine with Japanese children
-Explore the city with students and find historical spots in Hagi City.
WEEK 2 (27 July-3 August):
Staying with a family of farmer (the representative of local partner) and help their work to maintenance their farms.
-Maintenance of cultivated farm
-Experience Japanese agricultural work
-Renovate a community space for residents
-Volunteer at an elderly care facility
-Experience Japanese culture (‘Zazen’ meditation at temple)
WEEK 1 (21 July-26 July):
A school-owned guesthouse (shared room). Bedding is provided.
Breakfast: provided, Lunch & Dinner: volunteers manage the provided money for food and buy or prepare meals by themselves. Facilities: shower, toilet, kitchen, dining room, 2 bedrooms (1 for female, 1 for male), laundry machine.
WEEK 2 (27 July-3 August):
A Japanese style house owned by the local host(farmer). Volunteers will stay at the host organisation’s facility one or two nights. A traditional and renovated facility to experience old Japanese lifestyle. Bedding is provided. Facilities: kitchen, bedrooms, toilet, wi-fi, laundry machine. Volunteers will go to a spa house to take a bath every evening. The host and volunteers prepare meals together, using a traditional Japanese cooking range.
Hagi is located in Yamaguchi prefecture, in the west part of the Mainland of Japan, and faces the Sea of Japan. It is a small local city with the population of 55,000. It is called ‘Museum without a roof’ and the city has many historical buildings of Edo Period (17th -19th century) as well as the world heritage, Hagi Reverberatory Furnace, the bases of Japan’s industrialization and modernization
Niho is located about 40 km from Hagi city in the south and in the east of Mine city. Mine has the area of a mysterious Akiyoshido Cave(秋芳洞) and a beautiful Beppu Benten pond (別府弁天池). They became a popular touristic spot in recent years.
A volunteer needs at least 10,000 JPY in cash if she/he wants to go sightseeing on free-day.
This is a joint project hosted by two organisations.
[Hagi Koen Gakuin] Hagi Koen Gakuin is a private mission school, having its origin in Mercedarias Misioneras de Bérriz (Spain). In 1952, they established junior high school, placing high school on the side. The school is small, with only 160 students (from 7th to 12th graders). They focus on religious field (Catholic) and English teaching. The local partner is looking for volunteers who is mature, energetic and interested in revitalizing the community and accelerate communication among Japanese and international members. CIEE Japan started STV with Hagi Koen Gakuin back in 2008 and the joint program started in 2014. http://www.hagikoen.jp/
– Interests and understanding of Japanese culture and social manner.
– Must submit a motivation letter or description of motivation in the application form. Please include your self-introduction, interests on the project, experience, motivation in English or Japanese (if possible).
– Submit a confirmation slip (Travel information) online after your application is accepted by CIEE Japan.
– Prepare for a presentation on your home country as well as seasonings to present meal of your home country (if you can’t get in Japan).
– Please pay attention on what you wear at school. Short pants, short skirts, T-shirt, sleeveless shirt, or any other clothes which are too tight, transparent, short, showing your underwear or private body are NOT ALLOWED AT SCHOOL. Shirts with collar and long pants or shirts are appropriate.
– Should bring: Long sleeve shirts and long pants to cover your arms and legs, a hat or a cap, water bottle, cotton gloves, shoes for working outside, swim wear, sunscreen, beach sandals, bath towels, facial towels, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, detergent for your laundry, anti-mosquito bites spray, medicine you need.
– Vegetarian acceptable.
– If you have tattoos on your body, you might need to cover tattoos with a sticker or a cloth when taking a spa.