Volunteers and students of Okayama University of Science work together to plan and organize an international summer camp for children (craft making, quiz competition, acting a play, BBQ, camp fire). The project also includes:
-Visit to a school and children raising support centers in the city
-Cultural exchange with high school students and teachers
Volunteers are accommodated in the training center of university.
Facilities: Japanese style room with bedding (futon mattress), toilet, bathroom with bathtub. If you need to do the laundry, use a laundromat. No wi-fi in the accommodation.
Meals are provided or volunteers uses provided money to buy food.
Okayama city is the capital city of Okayama Prefecture in the Chūgoku region of Japan. The area is famous for good quality fruits like peaches and grapes. Okayama has a very famous old tale hero, ‘MOMOTARO’ – Peach Boy. Although the accommodation is located in rural area, it is very comfortable to live as it is not as busy as other metropolitan cities.
Okayama castle is listed in Best 100 Japanese castles and Korakuen is one of the best Japanese gardens which lawns and trees are beautifully kept. Kurashiki City in Okayama prefecture is famous for the historical quarter. Traditional scenery of Japan is conserved.
Many people will recommend visiting Hiroshima, next to Okayama perfecter and Seto Island Sea area before/after the workcamp.
This project started in 2017. A professor of Okayama University Science conducts the project and 20 students of Faculty of Education, who become school teachers, and international volunteers co-work to run the international summer program for children. Okayama University of Science was established in 1964 and 6 faculties in Okayama campus and newly opened the veterinary faculty in Ehime prefecture in 2018. The workcamp is small but very well organized.
– Active attitude to interaction with children.
– Interests and understanding of Japanese culture and social manner.
– Must submit a motivation letter or description of motivation in the application form. Please include your self-introduction, interests on the project, experience, motivation in English or Japanese (if possible).
– Submit a confirmation slip (Travel information) online after your application is accepted by CIEE Japan.
-Smoking and drinking are NOT ALLOWED during the workcamp. Even if you are old enough, smoking and drinking are strictly prohibited in the facility of university.
-Prepare a presentation file (Microsoft Power Point Presentation) in your USB memory to introduce your home country and meal. Bring the recipe, ingredients and seasonings which you can’t get in Japan. Volunteers will have opportunities to present your country.
-Should bring: Long sleeve shirts, long pants, clothes for activities with children, comfortable shoes, a hat or a cap.
– Please pay attention on what you wear when you work as a volunteer. Short skirt, shirt pants, sleeveless shirt, and other clothes which are too tight, transparent, too short, showing your underwear or private body are NOT ALLOWED.