– Teaching English to elementary school and jr high school students in Hino city.
Each volunteer is assigned to a class (between 6 to 15 years old) as a teacher assistant. Working with Meisei University students, international volunteers prepare lessons and teaching materials
– Helping open house of Meisei University.
Volunteers stay at a shared house (Social Residence Akishima). It takes 1 hour from the university using a public transportation. The fare to commute to university is paid by the university.
Facilities: Bedding is provided, kitchen, toilet, laundry machine, wi-fi.
Volunteers cooperate to prepare for breakfast and dinner. Take lunch at a cafeteria of the university.
Hino city is located in the western part of Tokyo. It will take less than one hour to get to the central Tokyo. Meisei University is surrounded with woods in a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere making you feel like taking a deep breath. You can hear cicadas singing in summer. In addition to the great nature, Hino has shrines and temples. You can enjoy there too. Volunteers are recommended to prepare at least 5,000 JPY for leisure. An average allowance a volunteer prepares on their own are about 30,000 JPY because everything is expensive in Tokyo.
Meisei University’s Summer School Project offers free English lessons to elementary and junior high school students (aged from 6 to 15) in the local community. Meisei University students who are majoring in teaching license course run this project. Based on the theoretical assumption, students try to put a priority on activity-based teaching rather than the traditional cramming style teaching. A philosophy is that English teaching and learning are purely fun and their goal is to develop communication skill in English. CIEE Japan has started this IVS since 2005 and it has always been the most popular program which all positions become full soon after the application starts. We carefully select candidates according to their motivations and experiences.
Meisei Summer School Project
– Active attitude to interaction with children.
– Interests and understanding of Japanese culture and social manner.
– Must submit a motivation letter or description of motivation in the application form. Please include your self-introduction, interests on the project, experience, motivation in English or Japanese (if possible).
– Submit a confirmation slip (Travel information) online after your application is accepted by CIEE Japan.
-Smoking and drinking are NOT ALLOWED during the workcamp. Even if you are old enough, smoking and drinking are strictly prohibited in the facility of university.
-Prepare a presentation of your home country to introduce your home country and meal.
-Should bring: Sports shoes, indoor shoes, swim wear, beach sandals, a hat or a cap, medicine you need.
– Please pay attention on what you wear when you work as a volunteer. Short skirt, shirt pants, sleeveless shirt, and other clothes which are too tight, transparent, too short, showing your underwear or private body are NOT ALLOWED.