• Volunteers will learn about Sangiran comprehensively yet briefly both in room and in the field with SCO field experts.
• Volunteers will live in with local communities’ in Sangoran museum area. During live in, volunteers will be distributed into small groups of 2 -3 persons to live with host families.
• Volunteers will make writing/ visual captures of living in peace in doversty using their experiences living with local communities.
1) In SCO accomodation in the museum study part and reflection part.
2) Living with Host families during live in part, meals are self cooking together with host families. No bed. Need sleeping bag. Sharing bathroom.
Suburb of Solo city. Beautiful nature in the village. https://goo.gl/maps/JkPPZrQ592p
Sangiran Museum is the only pre historic museum listed in UNESCO World Heritage sites in Indonesia. Sangiran area is a nationally protected cultural site of human evolutions during Pleistocene. The last 3 years GREAT has been cooperating with Sangiran Conservation Office (SCO) to organize international workcamps targeting local youth/ students to promote role of youth in preserving world heritage by creating students club called the Young Guardian Club Sangiran. However, after a comprehensive evaluation, the SCO & GREAT found that the impact of existance of international volunteers in the area is more to the local people than to the students. This is because many students do not actually live in the pre-historic conservation area of Sangiran also students tend to move to other bigger cities once the graduate school.
While the need of socialisation and raising awareness of preserving finding of pre-historic fossils stays strong for the local society. From time to time SCO is doing raising awareness program for prevention against illegal trading of the fossils found by local people and for strengthen sense of belonging and preservation among local people and Indonesian public in general. This workcamp is expected to be a new method to achieve those aims.
• Strong motivation and with social skill living with local host families.
• Interested in heritage issues especially pre-historic
• Familiar with article writing, short video making and social media
Weather can be up to 40 degree Celsius with 80% humidity. Less hygiene condition.