Background/Project: Okhaldhunga, District of the Himalayas – This small paradise on the earth is in the Everest Region. It is located in Sagarmatha zone in the North-East part of Nepal. Okhaldhunga is one of the most beautiful places in Nepal. If Okhaldhunga is viewed with sacred vision, it has numerous sights which are fascinating. VIN’s Project site (Taluwa, Bhadaure and Thulachhap communities) is on the South-East part from the district headquarter, Okhaldhunga. From Kathmandu, bus route is about 250 km which is a rough trip that takes one day (9-12 hrs). In Okhaldhunga, VIN implements integrated approach to community development.
Because of the geographical situation, it has limited developmental activities and facilities. Unlike Kathmandu, Okhaldhunga has numbers of illiterate people.
• To involve the children and sensitize them about Health Hygiene and Sanitation issues.
• To help develop the skills personal hygiene, sanitation, nutrition, etc.
Work / activities:
• Conducting awareness campaign related with hygiene and sanitation in various schools
• Trash collection around the school area
The volunteers will stay in Kathmandu for two nights until orientation. VIN covers two nights’ accommodation in twin sharing basis and provides lunch in its office on the orientation days. Then they will be with the host family/hostel identified by VIN in Okhaldhunga. The living facilities are simple and basic. Male and female Volunteers will share the same living area with separate rooms. There will be 2-4 persons in one room. Volunteers are required to sleep on the simple beds. Please bring your sleeping bag. When they are in the city after the evaluation, they are required to cover food and accommodation themselves.
VIN also organizes travel tours like Chitwan Jungle Safari, Pokhara, Nagarkot on extra costs if you are interested after your work camp.
VIN is a non profit charitable volunteer organization based in Nepal founded in 2005. VIN’s mission is to empower marginalized communities through enhanced Education, Health, Income generation & Basic infrastructure programs with special focus on women and children by conducting training and research through mobilizing local and international volunteers to promote equality, economic well-being and basic human rights.We are also a member of international volunteer networks worldwide like CCIVS, NVDA, EU Volunteer ALLIANCE, FoVIN-NL, US, Australia. For detail please visit: https://www.volunteersinitiativenepal.org/
Basic English, Interested in working in group and with Children, Easily adaptable in local Environment, Flexible
Participation Fee: The participation fee 200 Euros (+60 Euro for Transportation), which is to be paid on your arrivals at VIN Office.
Why Okhaldhunga and extra transportation fee:
• Beautiful Himalayan region close to Mt. Everest.
• Lacks development and basic infrastructure.
• Very needy local area waiting for development.
• Welcoming community and rich in culture.
• Simple life style and smiling people.
• Lovely environment and up and down hills.
• Takes one day (250 km) by jeep or bus, both rough and paved drive from Kathmandu.
• Enough support from local staff and community people.
• Volunteers will fill they have really contributed for needy and poor community.