Many parts of the communities were destroyed to dust and many families lost their houses and properties during the 2015 earthquake. This massive earthquake not only left people poor but many people are now homeless and living in very cold and small temporary shelters. This tragic moment made VIN realize that the reconstruction of houses of poor families, public properties, religious temples, and cultural heritage sites should be a priority when supporting the people in the community.
After the devastating earthquake of 25th April, 2015, the situation in Nepal is desperate! VIN has been continuously involved in Relief work, which is divided into three phases; Rapid response / Rescue, Rehabilitation, Reconstruction & Sustainability.
VIN has already completed two phases, and we are now in the Reconstruction & Sustainability phase. This is a long term phase. We will be working until the reconstruction is complete in our affected communities. This project aims to support very poor and needy families to reconstruct earthquake resistance houses.
• To support the rebuilding of Earthquake resistance homes for the most needy and affected families of VIN’s working communities.
• To demolish damaged structure, clear debris and manage it.
Work / Activities:
• Support the victims to rebuild earthquake resistant homes.
• Demolish the damaged structure, clear debris and manage it.
• Educate on safe earthquake resistant houses.
The volunteers will stay with the host family/hostel identified by VIN. The living facilities are simple and basic. Male and female Volunteers will share the same living area with separate rooms. There will be 3-5 persons in one room. Volunteers are required to sleep on the simple beds. Please bring your sleeping bag. They will be provided three times food- breakfast, lunch and dinner in Nepali Standard.
VIN will take you to a half day cultural sightseeing. Either before, during or after your workcamp. VIN also organizes weekends travel tours to Chitwan Jungle Safari, Pokhara, Nagarkot at an additional cost if you are interested.
VIN is a non profit charitable volunteer organization based in Nepal founded in 2005. VIN’s mission is to empower marginalized communities through enhanced Education, Health, Income generation & Basic infrastructure programs with special focus on women and children by conducting training and research through mobilizing local and international volunteers to promote equality, economic well-being and basic human rights.We are also a member of international volunteer networks worldwide like CCIVS, NVDA, EU Volunteer ALLIANCE, FoVIN-NL, US, Australia. For detail please visit: https://www.volunteersinitiativenepal.org/
Basic English, Interested in working in group and with Children, Easily adaptable in local Environment, Flexible
Participation Fee: The participation fee is 200 Euros (+30 Euro for transportation), which is to be paid on arrival at VIN Office.
The Participation Fee Covers:
• Food and Accommodation: Nepali Standard at a local host family – 3 meals a day
• Transportation: Airport pick up and pick up and drop to the working community site
• Materials for the work-camp and community development projects support
• Local volunteers’ support cost
• VIN T-shirt, and certificate of participation
• 24 hours emergency support
• VIN admin cost.