The volunteer is expected to work as English teachers in the primary school. They can prepare their lesson by themselves, but the teacher at the school can give the advice (do not expect this point too much even the teachers are also shy to speak out).
Creative teaching English – Creative teaching is important to recognize; teaching certificate does not need for specific quality of the volunteer but creative is the one of yours. The aims of creative teaching are giving the chance for students in the school or the place nearby to have the opportunity to communicate with different language, touch difference culture, and believing.
Teaching activity is that the volunteer would do the activities base on the intercultural and language with the games, songs, storytellings, and dancings. Also, it should focus on communication; listening and speaking.
The volunteer will stay at a local host family.
• Nature environment, basic and simple
• Mattresses, pillows, and fans are being provided by your host, so a sleeping bag is very important? (thin one) because you will sleep on the floor.
• Thai rural style toilet and bath.
• Hand washing for clothes.
• No food and drinks accept drinking water in the accommodation area under your care because some uninvited guests such as a mouse, ants, will come to share your food.
• Please keep clean and tidy.
The volunteer expects to eat Thai food and take turn cooking with the local volunteers.
There are many beautiful tourist attractions in Songkhla province. We would like to recommend the Hat Yai Municipality Park, Samila Beach, and Songkhla Old Town.
Hat Yai Municipality Park – The biggest public park in Hat Yai city where the local people come to take a relax. Moreover, there is a big Buddha on the top of the Ko Hong hill around the area of the public park. You can take the public car at the park to the hill. There you can see the beautiful view of Hat Yai city.
Samila Beach – The main beach of Songkhla province. There is full of history and storytelling about the Samila Beach and the small islands from the beach.
Songkhla Old Town – The original town of Songkhla can tell many stories in that period. You can visit, find some typical food and take the photo with the beautiful walls and buildings
You can find more information at:
VSA1904-1 Intercultural and Language (ICL) – Songkhla, learning and sharing the intercultural and language still are the main purpose. The volunteer can share and learn culture, language, and knowledge with the local community and children in school. Also, the volunteer will know more about Thailand during working in the local community
Nowadays, English language as the global language and intercultural learning are important for local Thai people, especially Thailand as a tourism country. After the project was created by VSA Thailand and has been successful for seven years. The great volunteers came to give the opportunity for children in schools where they are in the poor local community. Many local people can improve their English skills through a group by a group of volunteer, or at least they try to speak the English language more. They dare to face and work with the foreigner even though they cannot speak English. Moreover, the volunteers have changed the local community. They used to stay lively and trustily with the foreigner. Local people have a chance to learn, accept, and adopt the ways of life with the new cultures from the volunteers who are like an intercultural ambassador.
In 2019, the project needs the volunteer, who is the most important of the part, to continue for developing the potential of a local community that the last volunteers did, to help children in school, and local community still practice the English language, to learn your own language, and to make them learn more about the different culture. On the other hand, the volunteer also gets the opportunity to know local food, local transportation, local occupation and local culture with living in local habitation in the community. We believe that understanding several cultures can make the world be peaceful
• Teaching clothes, every shirt needs to cover shoulders, trousers for men and skirt for women, the skirt should cover your knees. Important! No vest, blue Jeans, or shorts while teaching.
• Brogue shoes or canvas shoes, no slippers when teaching. Sandals with socks can comply.
• Medicine as necessary
• Mosquito repellant
• Your traditional music, costumes, food and drink for the intercultural night (cooking and performance)
• Materials or sources (brochures, maps, souvenirs, pictures, flags, or handicrafts to introduce about your country and culture).
• Sunglasses and sun-block cream
• Toilet paper (you can buy it at the shop in the village)
• Any interesting materials such as CDs, ideas for games/activities for students.
• Motivation, good humor, and communication skills
• Raincoat or umbrella (during rainy season)
Respect culture, open mind, and love to learn and share