The volunteer will work on the farm with the host family. The volunteer will learn and share organic farm through local agriculture philosophy.
• The volunteer will help them to prepare soils, plant and take care of plants by water. They will also eat organic vegetables from an organic farm.
• The volunteer will help them to take care of the animals, such as cow, pig, and chicken, in the animal’s farm, and make the biogas by the dung of animals in the farm.
• The volunteer can learn and help them to make the shampoo and the soap by the local wisdom.
During the Songkran festival, the volunteer will be a part of the festival as an international volunteer. The volunteer will help the local people to prepare the celebration of the festival. You can bring a performance from your own country to perform during the festival including a music instrument to show at the festival. The volunteer is also expected to create a performance in the festival with the villagers.
The volunteer will stay at local agricultural farmer’s house. The toilets are Thai style. The toilet paper is not provided, but it can be purchased at local stores.
• Nature environment, basic and simple.
• Mattress, pillow, and fan are provided.
• Thai toilet and bath.
• No food and drinks except water in the sleeping area for your care because some animals such as the mouses, ants, will come to share your food.
• Please keep clean and tidy.
The volunteer expects to eat Thai food. The host family will prepare the food for the volunteer.
There are many beautiful tourist attractions in Songkhla province. We would like to recommend the Hat Yai Municipality Park, Samila Beach, and Songkhla Old Town.
Hat Yai Municipality Park – The biggest public park in Hat Yai city where the local people come to take a relax. Moreover, there is a big Buddha on the top of the Ko Hong hill around the area of the public park. You can take the public car at the park to the hill. There you can see the beautiful view of Hat Yai city.
Samila Beach – The main beach of Songkhla province. There is full of history and storytelling about the Samila Beach and the small islands from the beach.
Songkhla Old Town – The original town of Songkhla can tell many stories in that period. You can visit, find some typical food and take the photo with the beautiful walls and buildings
You can find more information at:
Thai New Year season called “Songkran” will be held on 13-15 April. Songkran is an important custom for Thai families, community and religion. It is also very popular with visitors. Thai people will prepare themselves for the beginning of the New Year by cleaning their houses and prepare celebration the festival in the local temples and communities. There are many activities during the festival including the water splashing, the bathing rite for Buddha images and the monks, and the performances for all 3 days. Moreover, local foods that it is not easy to find in the normal day will be provided by the local people. Everyone can get join in the celebration and festival. VSA has organized this workcamp for 7th times to support the festival and celebrating Thai traditional New Year with the international volunteers by collaboration with the local temple and community. This year, VSA hope that we can continue to help the local preparing the festival, and exchange the culture.
Furthermore, the project collaborates with Suan Plak Waa Farm in Songkhla where it is the farm stay. Suan Plak Waa is an organic farm. It has been created around the local family’s house by family in Songkhla, Thailand. The farm is kind of sufficiency economic feeding the animals; cow, pig, and chicken, fish, etc., and plant several vegetables for the food. They grow many vegetables to eat for themselves, they feed the animals to cook for the food for themselves. When they have enough for cooking in their family. They can sell them at the local market to make an income for a small family.
VSA Thailand and Suan Plak Waa have been worked as a partner since 2017. We start to send the international volunteer step by step. We hope, someday, Suan Plak Waa Organic Farm will become the international learning organic center for people around the world to adapt to daily life.
• Teaching clothes, every shirt needs to cover shoulders, trousers for men and skirt for women, the skirt should cover your knees. Important! No vest, blue Jeans, or shorts while teaching.
• Farming working clothes.
• Brogue shoes or canvas shoes, no slippers when teaching. Sandals with socks can comply.
• Medicine as necessary
• Mosquito repellant
• Your traditional music, costumes, food and drink for the intercultural night (cooking and performance)
• Materials or sources (brochures, maps, souvenirs, pictures, flags, or handicrafts to introduce about your country and culture).
• Sunglasses and sun-block cream
• Toilet paper (you can buy it at the shop in the village)
• Any interesting materials such as CDs, ideas for games/activities for students.
• Motivation, good humor, and communication skills
• Raincoat or umbrella (during rainy season)
Respect culture, open mind, and love to learn and share