The 1stweek the volunteer will spend time together supporting community
Creative teaching English – Creative teaching is important to recognize; teaching certificate does not need for a specific quality of the volunteer but creative is the one of yours. The aims of creative teaching are given the chance for people in the village or the place nearby can communicate with a different language, touch difference culture, and believing.
Center renovation – As we have the center, VSA Learning Home, now we also need a volunteer to set up the center as when they have spare time from main work. We are going to clean the accommodation and meeting area, and continue to build and paint the construction that the last volunteer did. There are villagers help and teach how to build. This is a good way to learn Thai way of the construct. Also, the volunteer can make the chair in this part.
Relationship with the villagers – The rest of the time form your main work, important thing is to learn and share with the villager by visiting, talking and do activities with them. You will get rich experience by learning and sharing from each other.
Kitchen garden – The volunteer will work in the small farm as a kitchen garden. They can renovate and plant some vegetables for making the food in the future.
The 2nd week will be following the theme as BANANA CAMP
Main work of this camp will be all about the banana. The concept is learning to use the local and nature care resourced, avoiding chemical and realize sustainable living.
The volunteer will learn and use banana parts for a living. Traditional Thai living using banana in daily life for example how to cook banana, using banana leaves to cover food instead of plastic, using the banana tree to pay respect for the river, etc.
During the 2nd week, the volunteer will stay at the farm. The farm is kind of sufficiency economic feeding the animals; cow, pig, and chicken, fish, etc., and plant several vegetables for the food. They grow many vegetables to eat for themselves, they feed the animals to cook for the food for themselves. When they have enough for cooking in their family. They can sell them at the local market to make an income for a small family. Because the volunteer stay at the farm, the volunteer also work and learn about farming, such as take care cow, pig, and chicken, in the animal’s farm, and make the biogas by the dung of animals in the farm, and help them to prepare soils, plant and take care of plants by water. They will also eat vegetables from an organic farm.
The volunteer will stay at Learning Home (Homestay) and Suan Plak Waa Farm in Thai style dormitory
• Nature environment, basic and simple.
• Mattress, pillow, and fan are provided.
• Thai toilet and bath.
• Washing clothes by hand.
• No food and drink except drinking water in the accommodation area for your care because some animals such as mouse, ant, will come to share your food.
• Please keep clean and tidy
The volunteer expects to eat Thai food and takes turn cooking with a local volunteer.
Peace Village Songkhla has been creating in 2011 at Peace Village, everyone can come to learn in the main aim is learning by doing and international community Living. We can study about each country, nationalities, cultures, etc. in the class but in the real situation is not in the lesson where you can see how the difference of people even they are from the same city.
Peace Village is active in the rural area of Songkhla province, Southern of Thailand in the small village; the name “Ban Ton San” (Ban in Thai mean village). The main occupation is rubber plantation and most of the villagers are Buddhist.
Keywords to live at Peace Village;
• Slow life/ living organic
• International community living
• Learning by doing
• Cultural diversity
SDGs in this camp
Goal 4 Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
Goal 10 Reduce inequality within and among countries
Goal 11 Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Goal 16 Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
Goal 17 Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
• Teaching clothes, every shirt needs to cover shoulders, trousers for men and skirt for women, the skirt should cover your knees. Important! No vest, blue Jeans, or shorts while teaching.
• Farming working clothes.
• Brogue shoes or canvas shoes, no slippers when teaching. Sandals with socks can comply.
• Medicine as necessary
• Mosquito repellant
• Your traditional music, costumes, food and drink for the intercultural night (cooking and performance)
• Materials or sources (brochures, maps, souvenirs, pictures, flags, or handicrafts to introduce about your country and culture).
• Sunglasses and sun-block cream
• Toilet paper (you can buy it at the shop in the village)
• Any interesting materials such as CDs, ideas for games/activities for students.
• Motivation, good humor, and communication skills
• Raincoat or umbrella (during the rainy season)
Respect culture, open mind, and love to learn and share