The main objective of the workcamp will be to help improving the outdoor and indoor facilities of the eco-centre and support the organisation of the festival “Ecoteau” which promotes the activities of the eco-centre and other local initiatives.
Examples of tasks and activities to foresee during the workcamp:
• Rebuild the wooden shelter of the vegetable garden
• Build outside dry-toilets
• Take care of the vegetable garden, the forest garden: weed, rebuild the wooden boxes, plant, harvest prepare the soil for future planting
• Maintain the surroundings, create walking paths
• Dig new pond
• Set-up nest box
• Spend one or two days at an organic plantation to learn how to harvest fruits and vegetables (the harvest will be cooked back at the centre)
• Bake homemade bread and pizza in our wood-fired oven
• Gather, discover and cook wild plants
• Pick and cook everything which grows on our site
Volunteers will sleep in tents on the site the eco-centre. Please bring a sleeping bag and a mattress.
We wish the volunteers to only bring organic and natural care products (shampoo, soap,…)
Volunteers will be provided with an inside and an outside kitchen where they will cook for themselves.
Food will be local, organic and mainly vegetarian.
The eco-centre is located in the Saint-Léonard area of Liège, at the foot of the hillside of the Citadel. Liège is the biggest city of Wallonia and the third city of Belgium after Brussels and Antwerp. The hillside of the Citadel is a rural area of more than 90 hectares partly located in the historical centre of Liège, which half is classed as Natural Heritage of the Walloon Region. This site has more than 60 monuments recognized as Material Heritage by the Walloon Region and counts 13 km of walking trails.
”La CITE s’invente” is a non-profit educational organisation for sustainable development. Its mission is to raise awareness about environmental issues and to promote sustainable ways of life.
The main objective of the organisation is to build and design an eco-centre for pedagogical purposes in the hillside (coteaux) of the Citadel of Liège. An eco-centre is a multi-purpose facility dedicated to demonstration of innovations and knowledge transfers for environment protection and sustainable development.
In addition to the development of the eco-centre, the organisation is carrying out numerous activities related to environment:
• Activities, workshop and trainings around nature, vegetable garden, forest garden, biodiversity, wild plants
• “tables d’hôtes”, sustainable food workshop, home-made bread workshop
• Workcamps about eco-renovation and recycling
• Awareness raising about sustainable accommodation
• “Healthy house” workshop on how to make hand-made home care products
This workcamp targets volunteers who are sensitive to environmental issues with a strong interest for sustainable development.
Please bring good working shoes and clothes as well as a raincoat in case of rainy weather.
In order to be coherent with the project’s topic, we encourage volunteers to offset the CO2-emissions related to their place trip via, for example, https://www.greentripper.org/