From 08.08 until 24.08 you will be in Wolfsburg. Your place of work will be in the Wolfsburg Forest. The forest is very popular amongst the local population of Wolfsburg, who like to jog, cycle, walk, or simply enjoy the nature there. Besides this, the forest is a habitat for various (rare) species of plants and animals, such as orchids, wildcats, and kingfishers. You will be supporting the state forest with several different activities in various departments:
• Nature conservation: constructing a breeding ground for stag beetles, maintaining orchid meadows, removing alien plants, waste collection campaign
• Forest maintenance: removal of fences, maintenance of young trees, clearing of water
• Relaxation for forest visitors: cutting free forest paths, possibly building a viewing platform
• Working in the workshop: building nesting boxes for songbirds or bats; cleaning and painting work in bad weather.
Besides all of this, you will also get in an insight into the diverse tasks of a state forestry office as well as into the ecosystem of the forest.
From 25.08 until 28.08, you will then move on to Berlin, since workcamps are celebrating their birthday – and you’ll be there too! 100 years ago, Swiss man Pierre Cérésole organised a project amongst volunteers from France, Switzerland, England and Germany in a small French village near to Verdun: the first international workcamp. 10 anniversary camps led by different German workcamp organisations are meeting in Berlin and each camp will contribute its own piece to the 2-day celebration on 26.08 and 27.08. You will have time to prepare your contribution during your time in Wolfsburg. The exact schedule of the weekend is still yet to be confirmed. We will provide more information about the event as soon as it is available.
You can already take part in the photo competition here:
Accommodatie en maaltijden
• From 08.08 until 24.08 you will be staying in recreation rooms for young people in the Stephanus community, in the Detmerode district of Wolfsburg.
• From 25.08 until 28.08 you will be staying in a youth hostel at Ostkreuz in Berlin.
The group will prepare and cook meals together.
Locatie en vrije tijd
Internationally renowned sights in Wolfsburg include the castle and the art museum, the “Autostadt” (Car Town) will its Volkswagen museum and the “Phaeno” science museum. The VW-Pool is one of the prettiest outdoor swimming pools in the region.
You can find more information about the town of Wolfsburg and its diverse leisure activities here:
You will need a good level of fitness for the physically demanding work. You will be working 4 days a week, for 7.5 hours each day. Fridays will be free.
Your group will be participating in the anniversary celebration of the “100 Years of Workcamps – Peace and Solidarity for the Future” campaign. Together you will travel to Berlin on 25.08. Your travel costs from Wolfsburg to Berlin, along with your stay in the youth hostel, will be covered by the camp budget.
You need to provide a Motivation Letter